Guide: How to get the Hyper-Compressed Ocean
The Hyper-Compressed Ocean is a toy reward from completing the achievement, “Secret Fish and Where to find them”.
I’m not going to lie, it takes time – but you can work on it while you’re doing other things.
Why do you want the Hyper-Compressed Ocean?
- Add to your toy collection
- Fish during downtime in raids
- Constant Supply of Gold
- Those sexy AF fish googles
Let’s start at the beginning…
Phase 1: Secret Fish of Mechagon
Start by fishing in Mechagon at Danielle Anglers (shown below) near where you can spawn that big fishy rare.
As soon as you fish up your first rare, you get an auto-quest pop-up that gets you going!
Keep fishing in each area marked below.
You can fish the rares in any order. I fished mine over the course of an afternoon whilst I was killing rares inbetween – so I zig-zagged across the map very inefficiently!
The longest I fished in one spot to get a rare was about 10-15 mins.
You are now half-way to getting the Hyper-Compressed Ocean!
The secret fish goggles go straight into your bag. Just /use them and the buff lasts for 60 minutes. The cooldown is also 60mins, so if you accidentally click the buff off you just have to wait until you can use them again.
/Use the Secret Fish Goggles – They Do Not Equip
Once you’ve activated your secret fish goggles (you might want to turn up the volume of your ambient sounds to hear the bubbly sound when they spawn), a secret fish will spawn anywhere within 40 yards of you.
40 yards is quite a big area in-game – so don’t be alarmed if you don’t see them at first – they can even spawn under water that is within the area.
The secret fish are visible to everyone which means that randoms can ninja your fish.
Secret Fish bubble shown below, druid in underwater travel form, for scale. (Appearance is from Glyph of the Tideskipper)
Phase 2: How to Get the Hyper-Compressed Ocean
The rare fish you’re looking for now, are found all over Azeroth so be prepared to do some travelling!
Let’s start with current content (patch 8.2)
- Displaced Scrapfin: Talk to Chromie in Mechagon to send you to the alternate future, available via sporadic world quest ‘daily’ or you can get Pascal to craft the Personal Time Displacer.
- Green Roughy: Finally a reason to use the Green Paint Filled Bladder (have a friend throw one at you), or craft and use a Green Spraybot, or failing either of those – go stand in the green paint turret at the Mechanocat painting station and get yo’self painted green.
- Mechanized Mackerel: No special activity needed, but be in the Mechagon zone.
- Queen’s Delight: Found loads of these each time I had the goggles equipped in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace.
- Zul’Nazman, Nazmir: Rotted Blood Cod
In Kul Tiras:
Drustvar: Tortollan Tank Dweller – Did you guys know there’s a bar underwater at Anyport in Drustvar? I had NO idea. This guy spawns there.
Stormsong Valley: Drowned Goldfish – in the drowned lands of Stormsong Valley (that brown area on the map with the pirates and wandering rock/crystalline mobs).
Broken Isles Dalaran: (suggested)
Basically these rare secret fish can only spawn when you’re dead. I.e. black and white corpse-run dead. I followed the Wowhead suggestion to use the floating island behind the southern bank in Dalaran. You need to ‘suicide’ your character (two helpful randoms tried to res me, bless ’em) by flying up, dismounting and plunging to a timely demise. By using the island – you limit the area in which the fish can spawn – so you can see them easily.
Embrace Portal Rooms, This is Where you Live Now
- The Jade Forest: Jade Story Fish
- Isle of Thunder: Thunderous Flounder – if you didn’t play in MoP, you can’t just fly there – but have to do the opening quests to unlock the zone.
- Kun-Lai Summit: Thin Air Flounder – literally at the very top of the summit. Thin air indeed.
- Dalaran: Kirin Tor Clown
- Suramar: Ancient Mana Fin – specifically in the harbour area, took a little while for me as most of mine spawned underwater and I had to swim quickly before they despawned.
- Argus, Krokuun and Antoran Wastes (NOT Mac’aree): Dead Fel Bone
- Tol Barad (PVP area): Prisoner Fish – again, thank you to wowhead for the suggestion of using the bridge between the PVP and PVE areas. I was able to run up and down the PVP end of the bridge and a small ways into the PVP area to get this one.
- Mount Hyjal: Well Lurker – in the lake under Nordrassil. That guy was well lurking. Innit.
- Howling Fjord: Barbed Fjord Fin
That wraps up the ones you have to specifically travel for.
Secret Fish to Find Along the Way:
- Elusive Moonfish: As the name suggests – only available at night time. I found mine around 8pm GMT at the start of a raid.
- Golden Sunsoaker: Day time pick-up! I found this one twice. Once in the Jade Forest and once in Mechagon – both during daylight hours.
- Camouflaged Snark
- Collectable Saltfin
- Deceptive Maw
- Inconspicuous Catfish
- Invisible Smelt
- Travelling Goby
- Unseen Mimmic – damn this fish. It was the last fish I needed for over a week. A WEEK.
- Very Tiny Whale
The Unseen Mimmic the Invisible Smelt and the Elusive Moonfish were the last three fish I needed for this achievement. I would have had the Elusive Moonfish sooner, if it were not for one of my guildies (I’m looking at you Mith) ninja’ing mine during a raid.
I got it eventually by standing on the area near the entrance to Eternal Palace – where a piece of the cave forms a long downward sloping bridge towards the elites outside the raid. It limited the space where it could spawn – so I could see it easily.
I eventually decided to use the advice from Wowhead – and went to Outland Nagrand to catch the last two fish.
There is a floating island in Outland Nagrand (approximately 45.9, 59.9) I tried some of the other smaller islands but this is the only one that worked for me – basically don the goggles – and just wait. They will spawn in an arc around your character and just run to them. If you mount up, or use flight form it can bug out the bubble – and you’ll be unable to click it – so always approach on foot (cat or bear form also works ok).
Congratulations! You did it!
Do you have the Hyper-compressed ocean yet?
Will you try and get it now that you have this handy visually friendly guide? Let me know how you go!